Tuesday, October 17, 2006

ESRB..I'm Sorry but What's the Point?

Now back then MK hit the arcades along with a game on the Sega CD called Night Trap. A very interesting game which I have never played. With Liberman urging a ratings system for games and more violent games being produced it was only a matter of time.


Now the ESRB back then kept a good watch on games. There was no real "M" rated games that was on the top of the ban list. Mainly "K-A" games with cartoon violence. Everything is peachy. Wrong. While console games were cutsy, arcade games were the norm of blood, violence, and other random acts of punishment. Street Fighter, MK2, and a slew of other games I found as a child popping quarters in the arcade. The arcades were a hip area, lines around the building, quarters stacked on the machine...MK2 boards being stolen....yeah you remember those days too.

Around the time of the PS, games became more mature and serious. Thankfully for technology, we now have 3-D games instead of the sidescrolling 2-D action. With the coming of GTA is where we can see a decline of dedication of the ESRB

Now my bitching part. Now on th eback of the box, every FUCKING game has about 2 to 4 things about the games content...the most common is blood+ violence, sexual themes, etc. But with Vice City, the back of the box didnt have "use of drugs" or whatever it had in the game that shot "under the gun". I despise the ESRB for shooting games under the "AO" gun.

AO is the grand rating of all games. Getting games to that platform is where games should be, okay well some games should be. An example would be God of War. The game had its lovely bloodshed and its 1st glimpse in pixelation boobs! But wait...are those boobs AO worthy? nope. I think, as many others would agree, that those boobs are a piece of art rather than a turn on. Remember, not much clothing back then so there's something to ponder.

So why does the ESRB exist if it always gets game under the "M/AO" gun? I feel that the companies pay the ESRB to overlook certain areas so that they can squeeze in the game. The hot coffee issue comes to mind. How could they pass that by...wouldnt they have seen something if the ESRB does go through the program? I dunno how the process works, but I'm sure its around that radical.

But I feel that it has been a failing company with enforcing these games. The yearly report has seen the card go from a C to like a F now (like most of my college grades lol).

But I'm sure if my game gets looked at, I'm sure it'll get a "M" rating. (Did I mention the use of the word "fuck" and "motherfucker" in San Andreas? Too MUCH cursing for it despite it being in the early 90's...I'm sorry the game should have been AO) .

No comments: